Planning Commission & Board of Zoning Appeals
- 7 p.m.
- 2nd Thursday of Every Month
- Commission Chambers
325 N Washington
Liberal, KS 67901
The Metropolitan Area Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals are comprised of a 7-member board 5 City and 2 County, county board members must live within a 3 mile radius. Appointed by the Mayor with approval of the city governing body.
- Kevin Frauli: Chairman (City)
- William Hockett: Vice Chairman (City)
- Steven Norton: (City)
- Monalicia Arredondo: (County)
- (Vacant County Seat) *
- Nick Schwindt: (City)
- Tracy Gutierrez: (City)
- Kevin Kirk: City Zoning Administrator
- Darla Harper: Secretary
To Inquire about County Seat vacancy, please call the City of Liberal at (620) 626-2261. Applicant must live outside city limits but within the 3 mile extra-territorial.*
The Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals are charged with the responsibility of guiding and accomplishing a coordinated and harmonious development of the city.
The goals and objectives of the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals are as follows:
- Assure that all land regulated by the Comprehensive Land Use Plan is used effectively and economically and in the best interest of the public.
- Designate the general location of land projected for use as agricultural, residential, business, industry, recreation, education, public buildings, and other community facilities, both private and public, and other uses that may be deemed necessary.
- Assure that the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinances properly regulates and restricts the use of the land and location of buildings and structures, the height and bulk of buildings and structures, and the required area of yards.
- Review and recommend to the governing body all requests for amendments or changes to the zoning ordinance, zoning map, flood insurance rate map, or plat and re-plat of land within the city.