74-5605. Qualifications of Applicant for Certification; Requirements
Every applicant for certification shall be an employee of a state, county or city law enforcement agency, a municipal university police officer, a railroad policeman appointed pursuant to K.S.A. 66-524, and amendments thereto; an employee of the tribal law enforcement agency of an Indian nation that has entered into a tribal-state gaming compact with this state; a manager or employee of the horse thief reservoir benefit district pursuant to K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 82a-2212, and amendments thereto; or a school security officer designated as a school law enforcement officer pursuant to K.S.A. 72-8222, and amendments thereto.
Prior to admission to a course conducted at the training center or at a certified state or local law enforcement agency, the applicant shall furnish to the director of police training a statement from the applicant's appointing authority or agency head certifying the applicant's fulfillment of the following requirements. The applicant:
- Is a United States citizen
- Has been fingerprinted and a search of local, state and national fingerprint files has been made to determine whether the applicant has a criminal record
- Has not been convicted, does not have an expunged conviction, and on and after July 1, 1995
- Has not been placed on diversion by any state or the federal government for a crime which is a felony or its equivalent under the uniform code of military justice
- Has not been convicted, does not have an expunged conviction, has not been placed on diversion by any state or the federal government for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or its equivalent under the uniform code of military justice, when such misdemeanor crime of domestic violence was committed on or after the effective date of this act
- Is the holder of a high school diploma or furnishes evidence of successful completion of an examination indicating an equivalent achievement
- Is of good moral character
- Has completed a psychological test approved by the commission
- Is free of any physical or mental condition which might adversely affect the applicant's performance of a police officer's or law enforcement officer's duties
- Is at least 21 years of age
Chief of Police
Deputy Chief of Police
Liberal Police Department
325 N. Washington Avenue
Liberal, KS 67901
P.O. Box 2199
Liberal, KS 67905
Monday - Thursday
7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
7:30 - 11:30 a.m.