Requirements & Regulations

Address Change

You must notify the City whenever you change your business location. A Building Department and Fire Department inspection will be conducted before a new Certificate of Occupancy can be issued. After the inspection, the new location will be recorded on your business license, keeping it current and valid. There is no fee for this procedure.

License Display

All Business Licenses and Certificates of Occupancy must be displayed on the premises. For those not having a fixed business address, the license must be physically carried on the person and presented upon request.

License Duration

The business license period is January 1 - December 31. The license is terminated when the business terminates or ownership changes.

License Renewal

Once you have obtained a license, a renewal notice will be sent to your email or mailing address provided, approximately 1 month prior to the expiration date. However, do not rely on receipt of the renewal notice. If you do not receive a renewal notice by January 1, please contact the Administration Department at 620-626-2201.

Ownership Change

A business license is not transferable. The new owner must apply for a business license in his or her name and pay the license fee. A new Certificate of Occupancy inspection will need to be performed.


If any business operates without a business license in violation of Ordinance 4371, the business will be given a 30-day grace period to correct the violation. Failure to correct the violation could result in criminal and/or civil penalties and/or other legal remedies.

Contact Us

  1. Alicia Hidalgo
    City Clerk


    324 N Kansas Avenue
    Liberal, KS 67901

    Mailing Address
    P.O. Box 2199
    Liberal, KS 67905

    Phone: 620-626-2206

    Office Hours:
    Monday - Thursday
    7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
    7:30 - 11:30 a.m.
    (Excluding Holidays)